History of establishment and development:
Founded on March 23, 2015, the Department of English Language and Culture is one of five departments under the School of Foreign Languages - Can Tho University.
Prior to August 2008, Can Tho University had The Department of English, including 70 lecturers, directly belonging to the School of Education. In 2008, CTU established the School of Social Sciences and Humanities. This Department was divided into 02 Departments of Foreign Languages, one under the School of Social Sciences and Humanities, and the other remained under the School of Education.
In 2011, the Department of English, School of Social Sciences and Humanities received more English teachers from the School of Fisheries and the School of Economics to work in the Department, bringing the number of lecturers to 42.
In March 2015, Can Tho University established the School of Foreign Languages, with this department renamed the Department of English Language and Culture. The Department is now responsible for training students in the two major areas of English Language Studies and Translation and Interpretation.
The Department of English Language and Culture has 24 faculty members, including 02 PhDs, 09 Masters/Senior Lecturers, and 15 Masters. In addition, We have six invited English teachers who are working at other units in the university (e.g. School of Social Sciences and Humanities and Foreign Languages Center). The invited teachers are those including 03 PhDs and 03 Masters. In total, 30 faculty members are involved in training, research and technology transfer activities.
In addition to the staff of 30 lecturers, the Department also has many lecturers invited from other departments in the School plus a team of retired faculty with high professionalism and enthusiasm for teaching.
Board of Directors:
- Head of Department: Dr. Nguyen Thi Phuong Hong
- Deputy Head of Department: Huynh Minh Hien, MA
- Deputy Head of Department: Luu Bich Ngoc, MA
Secretary: Nguyen Minh Thanh, MA
- Head of the Language-Culture-Literature Division: Nguyen Hong Qui, MA/Sr Lecturer
- Head of Translation Division: Truong Thi Ngoc Diep, MA/Sr Lecturer
- Head of Language Skills Division: Dr. Pham Hoang Yen
- Head: Nguyen Thai Huu, MA
- Deputy head: Ho Phuong Thuy, MA
- Training: The Department of English Language and Culture is responsible for training students in the English Language and Translation and Interpretation the Mekong. Each year, the Department receives about 200 full-time students to the programs of the School of Foreign Languages, 80 full-time students to the programs of the School of Rural Development, and 100 students of the medium-sized learning systems in the localities: Can Tho, Ca Mau, Kien Giang, Vinh Long, Soc Trang, Tien Giang, etc.
- Research: To keep updated with the professional and advanced methods of teaching foreign languages in the new era, under the guidance of the Dean of the School of Foreign Languages and the Party Committee of the School, the Department always attaches great importance to sending staff for training, conferences, seminars in many provinces and cities in the country such as Can Tho, Ho Chi Minh City, Ha Noi, Thai Nguyen, Nha Trang, Ban Me Thuoc, Binh Duong, Hue. Students are encouraged to write articles for journals, attend scientific reports at conferences, seminars, and do research. There are currently 02 faculty members who are doing doctorate studies in Australia and New Zealand.
In addition to activities organized by the School, the Department also organizes seminars for students to get them familiar with research and share their research results. Particularly, thanks to the response of many lecturers, the Department has started to have many students do scientific research at the university level in 2016, and in recent years the graduation theses graduated by students have improved in quality, thanks to the effective guidance and enthusiasm of the teaching staff.
- Technology transfer: The Department of English Language and Culture is gradually transferring technology through the compilation of teaching materials and training on Action Research, Testing-Assessment, English community ... for English teachers in the Mekong Delta and surrounding areas such as Dong Nai, Binh Duong and Ho Chi Minh City. The Department also offers training courses on translation for staff of government departments acoording to local needs.
- Participating in teaching professional training, developing English proficiency curriculums within the framework of the National Foreign Language Project 2020.
- Developing curriculum, designing detailed syllabus, developing the benchmark of curriculum for the old and new ones.
- Evaluating/reviewing the Deaprtment’s programs based on the AUN standards.
- Bringing students Dalat for fieldtrips.
- Guiding students to practice Translation at agencies and units in the Mekong Delta and neighboring areas.
- Supervising Master's theses.
- Teaching graduate students.
- Administering University Entrance Exams.
- Administering Graduate Exams.
- Administering Tests, assessments of A2-C1 foreign language proficiency for graduate students, and teachers at all levels in the region.
- Attending the graduation ceremonies of full-time and distance education students in the localities.
- Organizing Get Together - The annual traditional arts program of English students.
- Participating in interpreting for workshops, conference and ceremonies of the university.
- Organizing farewell parties for retired teachers.
- Organizing Welcoming new students events.
- Organizing Seminars for students
- Organizing graduation thesis reports
- Holding regular meetings for members of the Department.
- Orienting students to joining the Communist Party
- Hosting and doing logistics for receiving volunteers